Wednesday 27 November 2013

Transcription Project: Week 1

One of the few photographs I could get - at the entrance of Michael Landy's "Saints Alive" exhibition.





Jessica Eaton's Archival Pigment Print, from her series entitled "Cubes for Albers and LeWitt"





Photograph from Elinor Carruci's Motherhood photography series. This photograph is very raw and uncompromising. I was inspired by the unflinching realism in this photograph. There is a cold colour palette within this photograph and the shadowing within the photograph almost spares the viewer from more unpleasant viewing.













Photo from Corinne Day's "May The Circle Remain Unbroken" series. A friend posing with chips as vampire-fangs. Very light-hearted.





Corinne Day Photo once again. - A naked friend seated, gives me the impression this is a drunken act at a house party.

Corinne Day photo : Mid-fence climbing/attempted fence climbing. Probably the latter. In cohesion with the light-hearted party theme involved within this photography series.






Corrine Day photo: This photo in particular interested me as it is presented like a drunken snapshot in the middle of the dance floor, except there is a clarity and precision that only an expert would be able to achieve when capturing their subjects.



Corinne Day Photo: I found this photo hilarious, I assume this is a family party or gathering at some form of occasion. There is a clear paradox from the "grandma's" (I assume) face looking glum and unimpressed combined with an item of celebration (the sparkler).

Corrine Day Photo: This tongue in cheek photo illustrates the aftermath of a pillow fight.

Elinor Carruci Photo: from the "Motherhood series" this photo illustrates a purity and beauty to me and epitomizes nurture, showing a mother cradling her child.




Interim Evaluation :

Within our first transcription project week we were assigned to visit various galleries across London and watch "The Selfish Giant" as our contextual research in which we were briefed to respond to what we have seen. I enjoyed some brief elements within these galleries. I found Michael Landy's exhibition interesting and marveled at his work but didn't really find anything that was relevant to me from seeing it. Elinor Carruci's "Motherhood" photos and the "Home Truths" series very much appealed to me as I could draw from the uncompromising truths of the subjects. I am an appreciator of art that doesn't sugar coat a subject or stage a subject heavily merely for the sake of looking pretty. I drew the most inspiration however from Corinne Day's "May the circle remain unbroken" series as I saw documentary styled photography of light-hearted fun with friends and family. I appreciated the intimacy of the photos and found these amusing. My response will be either in emulation of the "Home Truths" series or the "May the circle remain unbroken" series as these photographs jumped out to me. I had difficulty with this project until Chris helped me nail down some ideas as I feel this project was more tailored for students interested in the visually-based fields. I did not feel catered to within this particular project and almost feel like I am scrimping for significance.

No comments:

Post a Comment